Loose Ends

Loose Ends

the creative impulse gone awry

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Swarm

New patterns, I know!  I found a new bff yarn (A Hundred Ravens' Danu) last fall and just after we met and fell in love I saw a friend and she was wearing a (store-bought) sweater and the stitch pattern was like a little mind-worm.  I had to figure it out, I had to make something with it.  And thus, my little design collection, Swarm, began.

I started off easy with a pair of fingerless gloves: my worker bee mitts...


I love the squishy, quilty little pattern and the yarn, A Hundred Ravens' Danu... not only is it made by a dear, lovely, woman, it is also f-ing awesome.  We all love a single ply yarns for how shiny and amazing they are, but usually they break your heart with the shredding, shedding, pilling, and general lack of heartiness.  Danu has no such issues.  After a year of wearing these mitts pretty near constantly, they look great and I'm sure I'll get another couple of seasons out of them before I only wear them around the house.

When I went to Kentucky for my grandfather's funeral I happened to do a bit of vacation yarn shopping at ReBelle in Lexington.  Lovely shop, they have a similar obsession with Malabrigo that I do and I picked up a few skeins of Rastita, because, reasons.  After I finished Clara's stripey cardigan I needed something that was portable (aka not my stripey boxy, I had to ride in a limo, and well, sit in a church, so a hat) So I thought I'd wind up a skein and work on my next installment - hivemind. 

Well, I loved the Rastita, but it just doesn't have the same oomph that the Danu has.  The hat flopped around and was generally miserable.  I wore it *on top of* another hat during this winter from hell, and it was great for that, or if I were to get some sort of head wound, it would certainly cover the swelling -- but it wasn't really what I wanted.  So I made a second version out of the Danu, and again, with the love:



This hat is a practical slouchy hat.  With the crazy brim folded up to cover your delicate ears, and the honeycomb pattern -- which is very quilty and really does hold in the heat very well.  I do love it.  I can't believe it took me this long to get it photographed and re-written.  Sadly, the original version was one of the 2 files lost in my great coffee + laptop experiment of 2014, so I had to re-write it and the decreases that I had written down and emailed to myself magically appeared after 7 months -- email isn't supposed to get lost in the mail, and yet this email just arrived, literally, 7 months late.  weird.  I took it as a sign and wrote the thing down promptly.

So, hey, here it is and I'm thrilled with it.  I think we should do a KAL, don't you?

No comments: