Loose Ends

Loose Ends

the creative impulse gone awry

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A dress, really?

I know, I know, a knitted dress seems, well, a bit much.  But trust me, with a pattern as charming and straightforward as Noyaux, it really didn't seem like a big deal at the time.

I have to admit, I really really love this thing:

 
In fact, it was pretty cold today, I really should have worn it.  I have a knit dress that I picked up earlier in the winter, that is actually a t-shirt made to look like a dress and I wear it all the time.  I love the look of shorter dresses with leggings because, honestly, at the park, with a kid like Zoë going without the leggings leads to indecent exposure.  So we wear the leggings, even in the summer, because WHO KNOWS what she's going to get herself into that I'm going to have to rescue her from....

I'd been trying, this winter, to go through some of my stash and knit some of it.  Honestly, it seems so simple, I have the yarn, I should knit with it.  It's complicated when you own a yarn shop and you talk about your knitting/life online because you do want to have those things work as a team... which means I'm often only knitting with stuff that is currently available at the shop.  But it can be a little stifling creatively and a lot wasteful, considering how much yarn I have stored in my house right now, ahem.  So I have been trying to use up my yarn. 

I've also been working on getting my entire knitting library entered into my Ravelry library.  Maybe it's a generational thing, or just an embracing of how technology actually can make your life easier, but I adore browsing patterns on Ravelry.  I know it's not just me, people who spend a lot of time on Ravelry talk about what a time suck it can be, and truthfully, I often rationalize the time I spend in the name of research for the shop and for my own designs, but simply the ability to sort and play with the patterns I already have on my bookshelves means that I'm finding patterns that I love that I already have on my bookshelves and I'm looking at my stash and realizing I have the yarn to knit them, and then boom: I'm knitting a dress.

Life is crazy sometimes.

So this dress is awesome.  You should knit it.  Yes, you.  (unless, you're having lots of hot flashes and think a knitted dress is like the 18th circle of hell, in which case, I get it, but it would still look cute on you... cotton?)  I looked at the projects on Ravelry when I was deciding if it was a good idea to make it and I saw loads of ladies of all different shapes and sizes wearing the dress and smiling and they all looked as I would hope to look in a knit dress -- which is to say, happy.  It was basically a no-brainer.

So I made it a bit shorter (as I was a bit short on yarn, but it turns out I would have had enough, bygones.  I gave the rest of the yarn to my Mominlaw for making other amazing things) But I love it.  It's cute, comfortable, and warm - my trifecta of perfection in knitting.  I used the called for yarn, which we discontinued at the shop because my lovely customers take issue with tweed.  Why?  I have no idea.  I heart a good tweed and Blackstone Tweed is a good tweed.  If enough people beg for it and make special orders we'd get it again in a heartbeat.  The knitting experience with this yarn is great, it was lovely, and bouncy, and squishy, and basically everything that makes me like yarn.

Also, let's talk about the pattern for a second, because, really, that shit looks complicated.  And, to a certain extent there is thought required.  It's not like Boxy, which basically requires a pulse and some great tv.  But I looked at that thing and when I sat down to knit I had my yarn, my pattern, my knitting needles and a cable needle. But... THERE ARE NO CABLES.  I know what it looks like, but no, there is no cabling involved.  If you can yo, k2tog, ssk, and k and p, you can make this thing. 

Now, I know I'm a knitting professional and so my opinion on these things can be a bit skewed, but I was knitting this while drinking wine and watching the first season of House of Cards.  Happily, cruising with my knitting and not making mistakes.  Which on my scale of difficulty means advanced beginner.  Really, it was a fun knit and it's a great garment.  What's not to love?

some project details here if you care to look.

2 comments:

Alicia said...

That dress looks really great! I have yet to knit a sweater, let alone a dress, but I plan to tackly my dreams of knitted garments soon.

Kim said...

You should do it! Really, most garments just take longer -- they aren't really more complicated than doing a scarf or a shawl. I love making things to wear, it's what drew me to knitting to begin with!