Loose Ends

Loose Ends

the creative impulse gone awry

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

tap... tap... is this thing on?

I have to say, that the past couple of weeks have been nuts.  I apologize if you were concerned about how we all fared in the hurricane - we're fine.  Thankfully, we had minimal damage.  Our fence that was falling down fell all the way down, and we lost power for 2 hours.  Phew.  But we've been extraordinarily busy the past three weeks and blogging, as usual, fell off the list.

So what were we up to?  Well, Clara, light of my life - turned 5.  Seriously, wasn't I pregnant with her just a couple of weeks ago?  We had a great party for her with a Borrowers theme.  Having recently become obsessed with the movie - The secret world of Arrietty.  I did my best to really pull out the heavy artillery because my 5th birthday is one of my first memories.  My mom hired a group of high school aged girl scouts to entertain me and my little friends.  What did we do?  I have no idea, but I remember the absolute bliss of that party.  So I wanted it to be special for her and it totally worked.

For the first time ever she was more interested in the kids at the party than anything else.  It is such a wonderful thing to watch her develop friendships and connections.  Since she is naturally cautious about people, to see her just unabashed, smiling ear-to-ear -- I honestly tear up a little just remembering the expression on her face while we sang Happy Birthday to her.  I really do adore watching her evolve.

So the very next day Sandy blew through town and we had all of that madness to deal with.  And then the weekend after that was a bridal shower/bachelorette party that I attended, and then this past weekend a wedding for dear friends of ours.   And daylight savings?  Yeah, that completely ruined my getting up early in the morning and blogging.  But this morning, for the first time since the time change I woke up at 6.  I rolled over and went back to bed, but I have a feeling that tomorrow I'll be up again and that I'll be able to rally.

Oh, and one more exciting thing... after many trials and so much work, I've launched an e-commerce site for Bella.  If you are visiting this blog from bellayarns.com you already can tell that it's different, but for the rest of you who follow me through other sources... check it out!  I have, oh, maybe 15% of our products up on the site, and more (most) every day.  I really wanted to present a fully formed website for all of you with all of the bells and whistles and everything Just. So.  But, you know, our inventory is a moving target.  Things change daily, new things, things sold out, and at a certain point you have to admit that like all of us, it had to start out somewhere and evolve.  So especially if you want some self-ruffling yarns (our first department that is complete- except for descriptions, Naomi is working on that as we speak with a cat on her lap!) visit the site!

In other news, I appear to have a hat problem.  Having made two wurms:

(Louisa Harding Orielle -- 2 skeins)

(Juniper Moon Farms - Herriot 1 skein)

and then a rikke.  I can't seem to stop, or to pick up my other projects.  Sadly, only the last hat is mine for a while.  I had a hard time giving up the rikke...
(Malabrigo Rios - Playa 1 skein)
In fact, I had such a hard time giving it up that I'm making another in Tosh DK (french gray)  It's gorgeous, but I may love the first one I knit marginally more  But it is lovely, my first time knitting the Tosh DK and while the color is gorgeous I am struggling with some splitting issues.  It's so gently spun that it's easy to do.  But you know, we all suffer for our art, and I'm thrilled with the results even if I curse a stitch or two.  It will also make a lovely sample when we are left with nothing but single skeins of the Tosh DK.  I'm hoping that will take a while, because I'd like to have this hat for more than a few days.

I'm also thinking I need to do *another* wurm in tosh sport.  We'll see.  Obviously I have a problem.  I have so many other things to make, but I can't seem to stop myself.  It's telling that I built my outfit today around the Tosh DK hat and I haven't yet finished (but that should come soon...the decreases are swift and steep.)

Oh, I've been knitting other things, you know, I have to, it's my job... but my heart belongs to the hat right now.  I'll tell you more about those things soon (hopefully I'll wake up early tomorrow!)  I have to say it is so lovely to return to the quiet routine after a few weeks full of activity.  It's truly a gift that it's a gray rainy day so we can really appreciate being home today.  Of course I hope to start tearing out the kitchen today (ha!) so the quiet will last approximately 24 hours.  We're starting with the floor in the hallway to see what's there.  I love a good adventure, especially when I don't have to leave my house to have it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And on this grey day I found myself in Bella Yarns with the birthday boys picking out sock yarns:)