Loose Ends

Loose Ends

the creative impulse gone awry

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Back from the North

Ahhh, the post vacation haze is lifting.  We've mostly unpacked from our week in Maine.  I got to see my bro, Rob, and his delightful wife for the first time in 2 years.  whoa.  I had a newborn the last time I saw those guys.  It was awesome to reconnect and have them spend some quality time with the girls.  Of course, no trip to maine is complete without also seeing all of the grandparents.  I drank a lot of beer and wine, took a lot of naps and knit a huge amount.  It was, in short, the nearly perfect vacation.  It would have been perfect, but both girls got up in the middle of the night several times on our last night there -- also, it would have been nicer if Josh and I hadn't both broken wine glasses within minutes of each other.  Is clutzy-ness contagious?  Anyway, it was delightful and we miss maine (and the folks we visited) already.

I was charmed that the house felt like home when we returned.  While it wasn't our first night away from the house, it was the first extended vacation and I was curious how we would feel when we got back.  Would the to do list loom and hover over our heads and render all vacation relaxation pointless or would we breathe a sigh of relief that we were home and happy to sleep in our own beds?  Luckily, since the girls didn't fall asleep on the drive home we were quickly thrust into another episode of "will they ever sleep?" -- our nightly sit-com.  So we had very little time to think about anything on the to do list and I was definitely happy to sleep in my own bed again (eventually).   The next day (having wisely come home a day before Josh needed to go back to work) we got a bit done on the house and generally re-acclimated to the real world. 

I think that the vacation from the house and the to do list was kind of the kick in the pants that we needed.  Removing yourself from something for a while always helps you approach with fresh eyes and we were reinvigorated to work on the house when we got back.  Josh's mom and I also spent some time brainstorming ideas for the (wretched) kitchen and I think we came up with a pretty good plan.  I still have to talk to a lot of people but I'm pretty sure we're going to take a wall down.  whoa.  While in maine I also spent a bit of time de-cluttering my mom's "spare" house that she plans to rent as a vacation home.  There are so many relics of our childhood there that need cleaning out before we could safely let strangers stay there.  I found it fun that it was so easy to de-clutter someone else's house that I tried to approach our house the same way when we got back.  So far I'm finding it works.  I am reminded of how oddly nice it was when we were showing the old house when everything was tidy and in it's place.  It's been so insane here since we've moved that I had forgotten the benefits of removing all of the clutter.  Assuming the world doesn't get turned upside down I'm going to work towards getting the good parts of that back.

I'm going to leave you with a few glam shots of the girls, and encourage you to check back frequently.  I've been working on several projects (both personal, and professional) and I'll be posting a bit more than usual.  For now:


No comments: