Loose Ends

Loose Ends

the creative impulse gone awry

Monday, February 27, 2012

where the children are adorable and life is insane

I hope you haven't worried too much about us during our little unplanned silence, dear readers.  It has been a crazy couple of weeks as the to do list winds down and the realities of selling our home and purchasing a new home start to weigh in.  It is a complicated matter, this house swapping we are planning and the blog, and much else in my life, suffers.

I am pleased to announce that until yesterday sometime our first floor looked largely like it was ready for that pottery barn photo shoot.  Of course, then Josh, in his infinite wisdom, decided we needed to check out what was in this storage area off the girls' room and we discovered 4 old computers, and numerous boxes of papers that Josh had mysteriously saved.  Also all of the Bella Yarns records, which, of course I knew were in there, but Josh's treasure trove of, for lack of a better word, stuff, was epic and amazing.  He's what I like to call an accidental hoarder.  He keeps things, simply, because the effort required to decide what to keep is more than the effort required to just toss the pile of things into a box and hide it in a little used storage room off the girls' room.

He has improved greatly in recent years in this habit due to my prodding and nagging that he, at least, remove the envelopes from the bills when saving them (this cuts down a lot of bulk) and we've come to some really excellent compromises on what we keep, how we organize it, and how long we keep it.  But from the late 90's and early 00's we had quite a bit of stuff.  Some of it was utterly boring, pay stubs, blah blah blah.  Some of it was mildly interesting and marginally nostalgic, first leases, the closing papers for this house.  But some of it was PURE GOLD, my letters to Josh when he was in college (oh dear god) and postcards his mom sent him when he was in college or when she was away on trips.  One card from his grandmother on his father's side who I was never lucky enough to meet.  It was wonderful to me to see her handwriting and hear her voice at least on paper.  I nice glimpse into one of the many women whose genes contributed to my sweet husband.

I was hoping today to run around the house and show you some glimpses into our oddly clean house and all of the things I've been working on during my little blogging hiatus but it looks like a storage room exploded everywhere, there's a computer graveyard in my dining room, a pile of stuff to burn in front of the fireplace, piles of things to drag out to the stoop on trash day (sadly two days from now, waaaah).  So I'm going to take this opportunity to clean out another of our storage areas, this one has christmas decorations, camping gear and baby clothes in it, and I'm sure a few surprises.  So soon our house will look like 2 storage areas exploded.  Oh well.  It's all part of the process and we'll just be one step closer to being ready to move when it's all over.  As long as it's all taken care of by Friday morning when the stager comes in to tell us precisely how to position everything for maximum effect.

To think that it was almost a year ago precisely that I met our real estate agent to talk about selling this house and I started on this grand home improvement adventure.  I laugh now thinking how I repainted the bathroom holding Zoë with Clara dancing on the toilet and changing out the tub faucet and having Zoë wake up from her nap hungry so I ended up nursing and plumbing at the same time.  They have worked so hard keeping themselves occupied while I work on the house, work on the business and blog.  While we all haven't had as much patience as is required to complete every task with grace, we're getting through to the end of it -- or at least to the beginning of the next adventure.

So to compensate for the lack of pretty house pictures, I'm bringing you some cute shots of the girls today. 

Zoë is talking up a storm but only Clara and I understand her most of the time, Josh about 75% and the rest of the universe thinks she's speaking a foreign language.  She lives up to her middle name, Kitsune, she is full of mischief, charisma and charm.  Clara is getting more amazing everyday, she is a stubborn beast of a woman at times (like her mother!) but she is so bright and interesting that it helps compensate!  We're reading her The Hobbit and she is loving it nearly as much as we are.  Thank god I have them to entertain me or I would be bored out of my skull.  Zoë is quite the comedian,her new thing is to tear off her clothes and come running into the room shouting "I'm naked!" and then saying "Naked Dance" and then, you guessed it, dancing naked.  Classic, but not exactly for the internet.  Anywho, that's all for now.  Our house should be on the market sometime next week (holy crap) and then my life will be very very weird.  Keep your fingers crossed that it sells quickly so I don't have to keep the house that clean for very long.  Also encourage any friends (or heck, people you don't like too!) living in historic Warren to put their houses on the market so we have one to buy!  More soon(ish)!

No comments: