Loose Ends

Loose Ends

the creative impulse gone awry

Friday, January 13, 2012

kitty update!


I'm afraid the newest addition to our family (we're still not sure we're keeping him, but I'm hoping we do.. lots of factors... ) may be hijacking the blog for a few posts.  There are a few people who have expressed interest in how he came into our lives so I thought I would tell his story as I know it.

He was taken as a kitten for the daughter of a family who apparently never had cats.  He'd never seen a vet, but it appears that he was an indoor kitty.  My thought is that the family just had no idea what caring for a furry mammal was all about.  When he got a bit older he was causing a little damage to their leather furniture, and well, they decided that having a cat wasn't for them.  It was at this point that a friend of mine who helps re-home kitties was notified and she posted a plea to facebook last week.  When I saw his picture he reminded me so much of a dear kitty of mine and I fell in love.  What can I say?  I talked with Josh about it and he is just so practical that he said, "Really, are you nuts?"  I mean, I freak out all the time about how busy and insane our life is, his logic is the last thing we need is another thing to care about.  Fine, I try to put him out of my mind.  He's right, honestly, the last thing we need right now is something else to worry about.

Well, the following Wednesday I see another post from my friend on facebook that this little kitty got out accidentally and got in a bit of a fight and now the family is really not having it.  There are rumblings that he may just get let loose somewhere... or worse.  Sigh.  I go back to the sweetie and this time I'm a lot less flexible.  I see lots of calls to help animals (these are the crowds I run with) and usually I am moved, but not called into action.  This guy was different and I knew I couldn't see him die.  Not him. 

So we arrange to meet up with the liason- my friend's friend- the next day.  I manage to get a quick appointment at the vet Naomi uses (our usual vet couldn't fit us in that day and I really needed him to get checked out before I brought him home) and off we go.  Like any good story, it was storming and raining and blowing, and we were late.  But my friend's friend is lovely and tells me a few spots he was hurting that we should be sure to check out- his cut on his face and his back left leg that he is favoring.  As crazy as the day was the kitty is very calm and full of snuggles- even at the vet he snuggles!

He, of course, has a few issues, fleas, a heart murmur we need to get an ultrasound before he can be neutered, we have to call animal control because he has a wound of unknown origin while not vaccinated- we're still waiting to see if he needs to be quarantined... it's amazingly complicated.  All of our kitties have come from rescue organizations but this is my first time organizing the rescue so to speak.  I'm relying on the help and expertise of many people who have done this before and his kitty godmother (Naomi) is an ever present gentle source of encouragement that we can do it, that we are doing the right thing, that we need each other.

It wasn't really the perfect day to pick him up, on Thursdays I go to the shop and we have our babysitter, so I wasn't able to be with him the whole day.  When I got home Josh mentions that he hissed at him once when he was petting his back leg, and he's limping on his front leg.  I snuggle him while watching Star Trek, I make sure he has some food and we go to sleep, he's sad when we leave and I am already wishing we could let him out so he could sleep on the bed.

When I woke up this morning he's still really not putting any weight on his front left paw and I call the vet again.  They fit me in in the morning and kindly wait to call animal control back (oh that is a long and silly story) so they can treat his paw regardless of his quarantine status (they are so so kind) He's got a bit of a raw spot on his foot pad that needs cleaning, and he needs some special litter until it heals, but other than that he's just fine, and did we mention sweet?  and full of snuggles?


It honestly broke my heart to take him back to the vet this morning because I just knew he thought we were taking him to another house.  But we're back home now and he's resting on his favorite spot.  He's had quite an exciting couple of days and he's sleeping a ton.  When I pick him up and snuggle he's ever so willing to lay there and purr.  He is a truly gentle soul.  We all adore him- especially the girls.



So now the fun part!  We need to pick a name for him.  His old family named him Demon- the irony.  We temporarily named him Ollie- short for Oliphant.  Because he is so grey.  But we need some help finding a name.  He's a very sweet, kind, gentle cat- possibly the most mellow I've ever had.  He also has a very short tail (not a sad story, a birth defect!) about 5 inches long- seriously that's it!
But he's not an Ollie.   I'm thinking he needs something literary, or something Japanese (since all of our cats have Japanese names) he's a survivor, someone who did what he needed to do to make it, but generally wants to live a quiet life.  I feel like he deserves a big name, a quiet name, a name with a great story.  Any ideas?  I promise some knitting soon- I'll be spending a lot of time hanging in quarantine with my new friend so I should be quite productive... that is if I can manage to stop petting him!  Thank you for all your support on our adventure (and cross your fingers this animal control thing is a non-issue)  more soon!

5 comments:

product junky said...

you could call him Miyagi! ;)

love,
Lo

product junky said...

you could call him Miyagi! ;)

love,
Lo

Liz M said...

Hmmm I have thought that maybe shih tzu fostering would help me while I am trying to deal with this Mei thing- I mean, I'm not quite there yet, but maybe soon. It would make me smile to have some company for poor London, who has never been alone and is now an only doggie.

Because he's grey like fog I was thinking of variants on the word for fog in Japanese, which is Kiri- Asagiri is morning fog, noumu is dense fog, mimei is the word for "grey of morning", haiiro is grey in general :) - or my favorite, nezumi is either "mouse" or "grey color". I also like kumori (Cloudy).

Okay, I'm done :)

Liz M said...

Er, above I meant "I was thinking of names for your new kitty", who is like grey fog.

Kim said...

Liz- I knew exactly what you meant! we have named him Bob- more on that soon. but i love the fog names... they are so romantic.

fostering is so good- so good we've decided to keep him, but it is hard when it's so fresh. I keep hoping she'll come home to you.