Loose Ends

Loose Ends

the creative impulse gone awry

Friday, December 30, 2011

vacation time

One thing that I love about vacation (that i don't so much love about being back from vacation, but you know) is that parenting can take a little vacation too.  I don't mean that I cease to parent and love my kids, but we can relax rules, we can soften our tone, we can indulge where we otherwise would stay firm.

Because my kids have never been great sleepers and the excitement of *so* many grandparents in such a short period of time kind of winds them up into a frenzy, I often have to spend a lot of time getting them mellow enough to sleep when we are in Maine.  This would normally drive me insane.  At times I feel like I've spent most of the last 4+ years trying to get one or the other to sleep.  But on vacation, I don't have my to do list, I have all of those grandparents helping, feeding me and letting me nap, and instead I can enjoy a rare moment.
It's times like these where I think about how many times I really get to rock my girls to sleep.  Most nights, honestly, it seems like too many.  But then I look at this picture all of a sudden life is traveling at warp speed. 

1 comment:

Liz M said...

That's a great photo of you :D