Loose Ends

Loose Ends

the creative impulse gone awry

Monday, December 19, 2011

Part 3: gift giving

Around here we love to give presents.  I mean, who doesn't love picking out the perfect thing, wrapping it just so and watching the person unwrap.  It's fantastic.  I am normally a person who keeps very few secrets, so this time of year is always a little challenging for me.  For instance, Josh and I have both- already- ruined eachother's surprises.  My reason for spilling the beans was totally practical, if I had a snowball's chance in heck-o of finishing his sweater then I had to knit on it in front of him.  Of course, I blew it by telling him what I was doing.  Apparently I knit large enough variety of things he didn't recognize it despite having picked out both the pattern and yarn.  I should have kept my mouth shut and he would have been none the wiser.  Now that I know I can knit surprises in front of him have been rescued from the many many late nights trying to knit in secret.

Clara loves mostly the wrapping of presents.  She's starting to get into the choosing as well, having just picked out an adorable Ernie doll for the Zone for christmas.  She went through a phase this summer where she was gift wrapping everything she could find with one of her babysitters.  Not thinking too clearly I gave them one of my boxes of gift wrapping supplies in the morning and when I returned that afternoon it was empty and they had a pile of presents- such delightful things as crumpled up paper, pens and markers, cars, rubber bands...  It was adorable- but unexpected.  Next time I just gave them a pile of plain paper and markers (make your own wrapping paper!) and a bunch of tape.  They could wrap to their hearts content and I could save the wrapping paper for gifts!

Clara and I love wrapping presents together- I measure, she cuts, I fold, she tapes, she chooses and affixes the bows.  Really, we are a great team. 




Zoë not so much.


Oh well, there's always next year! 

No comments: