Loose Ends

Loose Ends

the creative impulse gone awry

Monday, November 22, 2010

Previews & Patterns

Well, dear readers, what a week!  More sick at casa de Conterio, another cold on top of the one we're all recovering from.  Sigh.  Sometime in the next decade I'll get to sleep again!  My babysitter hit a little misfortune as well and threw out her back and couldn't stay as long as she usually does, so today's post may be a little on the light side!

I have a little preview for you today of that sweater that I've been working on.  I just finished the 6 month size and popped it on Zoë for a little photoshoot last friday.  I think it's adorable!  Introducing Little Pea:


It took a long time to get the proportions just right and I'm really happy with it.  The sample is out of Cascade 220 Superwash handpaints.  I loved working with it, but I have a few recommendations.  #1, don't put it in the dryer.  I know it tells you that you can, and for sure it didn't felt, but it didn't treat the sweater all that nicely either.  You see, wool that has been made machine washable is very slick (so it won't felt!) and it really needs blocking to get the shape right.  I had to steam it after it came out of the dryer to get the ribbing to look nice.  Also, because it is so slippery the buttons loosened dramatically when it was washed.  I highly recommend not using the yarn to sew on the buttons.  This sweater isn't really to be worn it's just to be displayed at the shop so I didn't bother to redo the buttons.  I just tightened them and moved on to the next thing.  If this were going to spend anytime on my babes, I would have pulled them off and sewn them on with thread.

I'll be working up the next few sizes to check the pattern, so you'll be seeing a few more of these soon.  Some from stash yarn and some for the store.  I'm so glad it's finally working out!  Hopefully I'll have the pattern up for sale soon.  It's a really quick knit!

I also wanted to let you know that Naomi, my intrepid business partner, has a couple of patterns for sale on ravelry.  Introducing the very popular Highway Hat:



Even more exciting, you can buy it without having a Ravelry account (but why wouldn't you want one?)  Click here and it's yours for $5.50!  I've also added links to the sidebar where you can purchase my current ravelry downloads.  The Mountain Colors Swirl Wrap pattern gives you the laceweight instructions written by Naomi.  That has been a very popular pattern in the shop and we're really happy to make it available to everyone online.

That's all for now, I hope all of you have a safe and wonderful holiday.  I have much to be thankful for this year!  I'm really enjoying bringing you a little slice of my knitting world each week and I hope I'll be able to increase the frequency of posting soon! 

No comments: