Loose Ends

Loose Ends

the creative impulse gone awry

Friday, September 24, 2010

SWTC Bamboo sublime baby dress



For this adorable little number we picked South West Trading Company's Bamboo. THis bamboo differs a bit from other bamboos on the market. Most bamboos you find are made like any other rayon, the plant fibers are maserated and then extruded into fibers which are spun/woven together into yarn. This rayon is a bit different. The bamboo is hammered into many long fibers and then knit into a tape. This tape has the same problem I have with most tapes, that I find myself stabbing the tape with my needle when I try to knit it. It's pretty forgiving to knit and I did manage to get through this little project on my addi lace needles. For something bigger I would definitely switch to a more blunt tipped needle.
Despite my issues with tape yarns, I seriously love this yarn. It's so soft! Bamboo is slippery soft in general but this one just seems so much nicer. The color, again, is one I found a little loud, but it turned out so lovely and I would definitely put this on my purple girl! This took much less than one ball of yarn, making it a nice bargain for a baby shower. The knitted fabric has a bit of drape, but not nearly as much as some of the other bamboos I've used. I don't think gratuitous stretch is a problem with this yarn, making it suitable for grown-up garments as well.

No comments: