Loose Ends

Loose Ends

the creative impulse gone awry

Saturday, April 7, 2007

Works in Progress




Well, the more exciting work in progress is the little creature that I'm growing in my abdomen. yes, blog-o-world, I am, in fact, pregnant. (whoa, a comma overload!) True to form the first trimester is basically turning me into a zombie, with the need for brains exchanged for a need for Ben & Jerry's. Of course in the first few days I began the baby knitting journey with a little sock yarn baby sweater that I designed. It's really simple, seed stitch borders, pretty yarn-over increases, not too much fuss. I love that these take relatively no time to knit and since it's sock yarn it's pretty much indestructible, which is essential for the modern infant ;)

In what seemed like no time at all, all of the unpleasant symptoms of pregnancy turned me into the aforementioned zombie, so between eating, sleeping, eating and shuffling around I haven't been knitting as much as I would like. I've started a bunch of different projects, but so far the only one to be completed is the little sock yarn baby sweater! So you get photos, and a run down of what I'm working on.

First, is a sweater I'm designing for The Sheep Shop Yarn Co. They have a fantastic new yarn, Sheep Three. It is pretty sick, 30 silk, 70 wool, knits up on a #4 needle. So the sweater I'm making is absolutely enormous and mostly in moss stitch (or double moss for those of you across the pond) It is taking me forever to finish, mostly because I decided to knit it all in one piece to avoid sewing because it is such a large sweater. I am in love with it, and I would have given up a lot sooner if it wasn't so nice to knit on this yarn. Oh how i love it.

Second, is another baby sweater, from Debbie Bliss Simply Baby. A book that I've had in the shop for quite a while and had sadly never even looked at! (bad yarn shop girl, no pint of iced cream!) It has some of the most adorable baby stuff I've seen and now I have a long list of things from that book I need to knit for the porkbun. I'm working on the Ribbed Jacket in Louisa Harding's Grace, one of the most drool worthy yarns I have in the shop. I'm doing this in a cream and brown colorscheme for gender neutrality, and it's turning out really well... there's a sneak peak in here somewhere.

Third, I'm working on a shawl from Victorian Lace Today in some Lorna's Laces that a friend gave me. I don't carry the yarn in the shop, but it's knitting up really wonderfully. If I had that with me I'd give you a look, but like most lace, it really doesn't look like much until it gets stretched all to heck and back... so maybe I'll just give you nothing until it's done! I'm hoping it will be a pretty and relatively discreet nursing shawl. The colorway is red/yellow/orange/purple, so it's pretty wild looking. Considering my normal black with grey wardrobe, it's a bit of a stretch, but I still love it.

Fourth, is a modularly knit shawl. The pattern is from the ArtYarns collection, the yarn is Ritratto from S. Charles. I think it's a nice combination, but frankly once I found out about the wee one, I lost all interest. It will make a great store sample when I get around to finishing it.

Those are the current UFOs, there are more, hiding in my closet, but we only drag them out when we're really desparate for a finishing fix.

I promise more posting as I'm coming through the fog of the first trimester and should have more energy soon. If my knitting progress in the last week is any indication, I'm very nearly back on track. phew!

No comments: