Loose Ends

Loose Ends

the creative impulse gone awry

Thursday, February 15, 2007

summer?



Well, no, not really. We've just had an ice storm, but you see, the yarn shop girl always has to be one season ahead so her samples are done for the appropriate season! Which means I'm constantly knitting cottons and slinky things in the middle of february (which is actually more pleasant than say, heavy woolens in July...) This particular piece is from Louisa Harding's Spring/Summer accessories collection from last year. Yes, I'm a year late with this little number, but to encourage my intrepid knitter's I'm teaching a class on this little number in May. It is the 2nd easiest lace pattern in the universe, Feather and Fan, in an entirely manageable number of stitches. You can slide the yarns up the side and tie on the extra sparkly ribbon as you go which makes doing all of those stripes really not so bad. It took me forever (tm) to knit this. Probably because I started it during a super bowl party and messed it up so many times that I got annoyed with it and therefore had negative associations. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, especially my color choice. Originally I had chosen to do it in an entirely different colorway of darker pinks and purple and changed my mind at the last minute into this much more delicate and feminine version. I was half way through it before I realized I had chosen a silver metallic and a gold metallic, but I don't think it detracts. The button is an older brass button from One World Buttons that hasn't sold particularly well for me, but I love the spiral on the button with the wave of the lace pattern. All in all, I think a nice sample. Next, I'm thinking either a lace poncho from the Artyarns collection of modular patterns, or a felted clutch. It will probably come down to what needles I have in the shop.

No comments: